A London Underground strike that had threatened to bring “substantial disruption” across the capital on Thursday has been called off.
Members of the Aslef union were due to walk out for 24 hours in a dispute over work-life balance linked to the introduction of overnight Tube services on weekends.
Aslef has now announced it is suspending the industrial action following talks with London Underground at the conciliation service Acas.
Finn Brennan, the union’s organiser on London Underground, said: “I am pleased to say our negotiating team believes they have made sufficient progress in talks at Acas to recommend to the Aslef executive committee that the strike called for Thursday be suspended.
“We have always been prepared to keep talking to resolve this dispute but Aslef always has, and always will, insist that management stick to agreements they make with us.
“Our ballot remains live and we will not hesitate to call action in the future if needed to ensure all the commitments made are fully delivered.”
Nigel Holness, LU’s director of network operations, said: “I welcome Aslef’s decision to suspend its unnecessary strike action and I am pleased that customers will not have their journeys disrupted.
“Since we agreed the pay deal last year we’ve delivered on all our commitments to provide the best possible work-life balance for our staff.
“We have completed a trial of a compressed four-day working week on the Jubilee line and drivers are working fewer weekend shifts.
“We have agreed to continue working with the trade unions to explore options that will further improve work-life balance for our staff.”